The Case of Unsustainaville
Water Purification in Unsustainaville
In Unsustainaville, water is purified in two locations
- Centrally, in the reservoir, it is purified by chlorination.
- In those areas of town that are not connected to the central water distribution grid, people purify water by boiling.
Problems with Water Purification in Unsustainaville
There are several problems with these kinds of water purification:
- Chlorination is effective, but it is also quite expensive and relies on the availability of chlorine, which is sometimes limited. Additionally, there is a lot of organic pollution that is not addressed with chlorination.
- Boiling is very expensive for the local population in the low-income areas - so the very poor cannot afford it and frequently suffer from water-related diseases. Boiling with wood also puts a big strain on the forests around the city. Furthermore, it leads to indoor air pollution, causing respiratory diseases.
Where do I find further information to tackle water purification problems?
- See the water purification section.
- Learn more on health and hygiene issues.
- Learn how to plan a change process, see planning and process tools.